Fort George is a substantial fortress built on a peninsula jutting out into the Moray Firth. It is an artillery fortress built between 1748 and 1769, and at the time was probably the most defensible fortress. It was supposed to be an impregnable fort for George IIs soldiers. The smaller forts of General Wade had shown a weakness with regards to artillery fire in the Jacobite risings. However, as better artillery and attack methods were devised, the forts was realized to be susceptible to attack from the landward side.
It was built as a direct result of the battle of Culloden, when the nervous government ordered a large fort to be built. It survives today as the best preserved 18th c military fortification in Europe. The immense scale of the place can only be seen from within, since from the outside, the fort appears flat.
It is impressive for it’s size and the elaboration of it’s defenses. The casemates under the outer wall provided accomodations for 40 men per room in times of seige in the small, dimly lit rooms. Several are open.
Ft. George is still in use as an Army Barracks. The Queens Own Highlander museum is located in the original Lieutenance Governors and Fort Major’s houses. The barracks that line the main parade ground are still in use.